You can click the small pictures in this column to see larger versions.

« Cars | Main | Daleville »

Thursday, August 16, 2018

Stacey's Checkup

We left the farm around 8 AM and headed towards Bowling Green. We didn't get far, had to turn around and return to the farm to get the bag with Stacey's medications. We were going to her office call with Dr Zhu at Graves Gilbert Clinic and they require her medications be brought to the office visit. After picking up her pills, we went through the drive through at Hardee's and ate during the one hour and twenty minute ride. The parking lot at the clinic was crammed full and so were the hallways. I registered Stacey, then took her papers to Dr Zhu's office. We then waited about an hour before being called into the exam room. Stacey, Linda and I all waited a few minutes until Dr Zhu came into the room with a tag along Dr in training. Dr Zhu recognized Stacey and immediately started teasing her about the Pacers. Then asked us if she had any seizures since her last office visit. We answered 'no' and he relaxed and continued to talk Pacer stuff with Stacey for a few minutes. Dr Zhu turned his attention to his laptop and began asking us questions about her medications. Linda told him we had begun giving Stacey CBD oil capsules and reduced some of her seizure meds. Dr Zhu asked how that had affected Stacey. We explained that it seemed to work well and helped Stacey think more clear. Dr Zhu was OK with that, but could not legally tell us to give Stacey CBD oil. He told us of another patient he had treated and could not control his seizures. Then one office visit the guy reported he hadn't had any seizure and that smoking marijuana had stopped them. We asked if we should continue reducing Stacey's medications. Dr Zhu said that he could not legally recommend that, but if we did, we should do it a certain way, which he described in detail. Everyone in the room understood that he liked what we were doing but was unable to say so because CBD oil is not approved for seizure control by the FDA. It was his way of letting us know to keep doing what Stacey needed. We all laughed and Dr Zhu shook hands with us and said to come back in one year unless we needed to see him sooner.

Posted by Dave at 8:00 PM
Categories: Current Events

Friday, August 03, 2018

Porch Railings for Daleville House

Sunday morning we met Pauline and Brent in Cave City and took their kids with us to Daleville for another week. We stopped at the rest area just north of Louisville for a bathroom break before driving the rest of the way.
Steve and his crew had made good progress on removing the wrought iron porch railing and replacing it with a no maintenance vinyl covered railing. They also busted the old concrete steps on the left side of the porch. Steve had previously poured new steps on the right side and was working on the hand rail for them.
Linda met her brothers and visited with her Mom most days, while I stayed at the Daleville house. Julie and Kyle didn't go the Splash Park much due to rainy weather the first 3 days of our trip. We were able to play basket ball and they rode bikes quite a bit. Most of the evenings were spent watching kids movies on Netflix. Stacey and Julie were on the edge of their seats when I snapped the picture below. Kyle setup camp each night and put the pillows up each morning. Julie and Kyle took turns sleeping on the pillows like it was a reward.
Before leaving for KY on Thursday, I talked with Steve and we added building a sidewalk from the steps to the town's sidewalk to his contract, also installing a new storm door that I purchased. We left Daleville and drove to King Fish on the IN side of the Ohio River for lunch, then into KY and onto Brent's house where we dropped off Julie and Kyle. Brent gave us 2 boxes of fresh peaches to make peach jam. Linda drove us to the farm and we unloaded.

Posted by Dave at 7:00 PM
Categories: Current Events, Daleville

Wednesday, July 25, 2018


Since we moved to KY over 20 years ago, I haven't seen that many sunsets. Our farm is in a valley and the sun disappears from our view before it passes the horizon. With the drone, I now have the capability to capture sunsets at the best times, thanks to the drone's ability to fly above the height of the hilltops.

Posted by Dave at 9:00 PM
Categories: Current Events, Farm

Friday, July 20, 2018

Grand Kids in Daleville

Monday, Julie & Kyle went to Daleville with us. We are keeping them for 3 weeks until their school begins in August. After the ride, J & K went to the Splash Park. They're able to walk back and forth to the park and the Daleville house or ride in the golf cart with Linda or I.
Tuesday through Thursday, we gave J & K money to buy sno-cones at the water park. They've been trying the different flavors. Julie didn't really like the Pina Colada flavor, but finished it anyway.
Kyle has braces on his teeth, but they both assured me that the ice was not going to bother Kyle's dental work. Kyle had a Black Cherry flavored sno-cone that might have gave him 'brain freeze' when I took this picture.
Each morning, J & K would ride their bikes to a church parking lot, Stacey and I rode in the golf cart, then we all played basket ball for about an hour. Then J & K would go for a bike ride and return to the house.
The new garage has been nice to put their bikes and the golf cart inside, then just hit the button to close the garage door. It is a bunch easier to use than the yard barn.
Friday morning we packed up our stuff, went to Denny's for breakfast, then returned, closed the house and drove to the farm.

Posted by Dave at 8:00 PM
Categories: Current Events, Daleville

Saturday, July 14, 2018

Baseball & Softball

Brent asked us to go to a Bowling Green Hot Rods baseball game with them. We left the farm about 3 PM and drove to their house where we talked a few minutes and then loaded into their Traverse. Kyle's Little League was being honored by the Hot Rods. Kyle, his team and the other teams in the same league were all taken on the field before the game. The announcer began announcing the starting lineup and as each player ran out of the dug out one of Kyle's team mates would meet them, do a knuckle bump and run along side the player out to their position. Kyle's turn came and he did as everyone else had done. I kept watching as he and the professional player were chatting while the rest of the starters were announced and came onto the field. They remained on the field as the National Anthem was played. Then all the kids were returned to their seating area and the game began.
The Hot Rods won 4-3. See the story HERE. We quickly left and rode to Brent's, then took Kyle with us to the farm, arriving about midnight
Saturday morning, we left the farm at 6:45 AM, stopped at Hardee's and drove to Campbellsville for Julie's 9 AM game. The teams were warming up as we parked. Josh & Brent won the coin flip so they were home team and took the field first. Julie walked the first batter, stuck one out, then walked two more to load the bases. One line drive for the second out, then a strike out ended the inning without the other kids scoring. Julie pitched better the rest of the game, but they lost 5 to 4 after time expired at the end of the 4th inning.
About a ten minute break and the second game began. Linda and I could tell right away this game was against a much tougher team. Julie's team never scored and thankfully time expired after three innings of a major beat down. We found out this was a traveling team with players from Somerset, Louisville and Frankfort. They were in a class all their own and never lost a game in the tournament.
Two other teams played a game, then Julie's team began their third game. Julie was pitching again. The teams were fairly even in ability and Julie's team won 5 to 4 with a close call at the end. We had to wait for two more games to be played before being told Julie's team had not made the cut for the final games. We packed the chairs and cooler into the Equinox with Julie & Kyle after telling Pauline & Brent bye, then drove back to Burkesville. They are staying with us for the next week.

Posted by Dave at 6:00 PM
Categories: Current Events

Monday, June 25, 2018

Garage Finished

Stacey, Linda & I left Friday morning for Daleville. We stopped in Pendleton and dropped off Linda so she could drive her Mom's truck while we were in IN. Stacey and I went on to Daleville and unloaded the Equinox and turned on the AC at the house. Linda ended up having to call Imon to unlock the garage before she could get to the truck. She remained there for a couple hours before coming to Daleville.
Lana & Frank Dial visited with us Saturday evening. Stacey had trouble all day and wasn't good when they were with us. It was still enjoyable chatting with Lana & Frank.
Sunday, Stacey was fine & Linda took her and visited with Nana & Imon most of the day. Sunday morning, I worked on installing the electric garage door opener with Steve Sargent. We mounted the opener and hooked it to the power. Jim Cooper dropped in for a few beers and conversation. He even stayed after Linda & Stacey returned. It was good seeing Jim!
Monday, Steve laid the last part of the cap on the split faced block while I programmed the door opener and the key pad for it. Linda visited with her brother, Jr most of the day.
Finally, the garage was done! We moved our stuff out of the yard barn and into the garage. The yard barn is ready to be moved from our yard and located about 3 blocks away.
Rain stopped the guy from delivering the gravel for the driveway Tuesday. He will also finish grade the area around the garage when the yard barn is removed and the ground is dry. Bonnie & Donny came over Tuesday evening and we talked, then went to Elbert's Lounge for Taco Tuesday. There were several others from Daleville there, Bob Huffman, Terry Granger, Helen Craig, Christa & Bruce Corn, Mary & Steve Sargent and it was kind of an old home week.
Wednesday, we packed our things, locked the house and headed back to KY.

Thanks to Steve Sargent and his crew of workers for doing a great job building the garage!

Update The driveway is finished. Thanks to Mary Sargent for the photo taken the day after we left.

Posted by Dave at 7:45 PM
Categories: Current Events, Daleville

Saturday, June 09, 2018

Hay Done Road Repaved

When we returned home from IN, all the hay had been cut and rolled. The fields looked a little brown because there had not been any rain fall since the hay was cut.
I flew the drone and took inventory of the rolls and the condition of the fields. I flew it down the creek to our other fields and hovered to take several pictures, snapped a couple on the way back and then returned to the farm house.
The new pavement on SR 61 was laid while we were in IN. I was delighted they paved over the rumble strips that had been ground into the previous pavement The noises from those things are annoying as people are either passing another vehicle or trying to see what is going on in our driveway. :-)
I snapped a couple more pictures as I was landing the drone. We park our Mules in the back loft of the old barn.

Posted by Dave at 6:30 PM
Categories: Current Events, Farm

Friday, June 08, 2018

Concrete Poured In Daleville

We went to IN Sunday morning. The weather was cooler than in KY and less humid. Linda spent a lot of time with her Mom digging up the flowers at the Broadway house and replanting them at Nana's new place. I remained in Daleville watching Steve and his crew pour concrete for new porch steps and an apron and stoop for the new garage. The truck driver filled the forms for the steps first.
After some preliminary work, Ed & George moved to the garage and Steve did the finishing work on the steps.
The stoop was filled and leveled next.
Then the apron was poured, trowled and then broom finished.
Linda bought a Genie garage door opener for Steve to install. Steve began laying the split faced blocks to finish the bottom of the walls. We returned to the farm on Friday.

Posted by Dave at 8:00 PM
Categories: Current Events, Daleville

Tuesday, May 29, 2018

Tadpoles Into Frogs

Julie, Kyle, Linda & Stacey had been watching a puddle along the edge of the creek that was a breeding ground for thousands of tadpoles. Each of the black dots in the picture are tadpoles turning into frogs.
When we stopped the Mule and looked around, little bitty frogs were hopping all around the water hole. One landed on the rock and I took a quick picture.
Julie caught several in her hand and put a dandelion bloom along side for size comparison.
The frogs are so small up beside Kyle's thumb nail.

Posted by Dave at 6:30 PM
Categories: Current Events, Farm

Sunday, May 27, 2018

Heart In KY

Linda & Brent picked out a piece of barn siding and put together nails and string to make a piece of art I called, "Our Heart Is In KY".
Linda made another one, then donated one to benefit the Democratic Party of Cumberland County. We took one to the Daleville house and hung it on the wall.

Posted by Dave at 7:00 PM
Categories: Current Events, Farm

Thursday, May 24, 2018

Berry Picking Time

Schools out! Julie & Kyle are staying at the farm for nearly two weeks. Lucky for them, the strawberries are ripe. Stacey, Linda and I had already picked a tub full two days earlier, this time J & K had easy pickings and came to the house with a full gallon. I'm not sure how many they ate, doesn't matter, I hope they filled their bellies.
Julie wanted to help make the jam so we worked together and made 2 batches that ended up being 10 half pints. They're sealed and ready to eat or save for later.

Posted by Dave at 6:00 PM
Categories: Current Events, Farm

Saturday, May 12, 2018

Nana's Mothers Day

The Daleville garage is getting better looking as it nears completion. We moved more stuff out of Nana's house on Broadway, still a lot to go!
Saturday, a lot of the Bankson Family came to Imon's garage to celebrate Mother's Day with Reba. Most people carried in a dish and we had a pitch in dinner. Nana was surprised that so many came to visit.
I pulled Imon, Nana, Linda & Jr together for a picture on the front porch.

Posted by Dave at 8:30 PM
Categories: Current Events, Daleville

Monday, April 30, 2018

Strawberry Plants

About 30 days after planting, there has been several rains and the weather has warmed up substantially. Linda and I have been keeping an eye on the newly planted strawberries.
Nearly all the plants have remained alive, although some are not thriving as well as others.

Our three rows of older plants have blooms on them, but I'm hoping for a lot more berries next year. 

Posted by Dave at 5:30 PM
Categories: Current Events

Thursday, April 26, 2018


Brent took Julie to softball pitching training during the winter nearly every Sunday. Julie and Brent also practiced at the school during the weeks. The practice and training has helped significantly. Her throwing speed is in the low 40s and her control is much better.
Kyle has been wanting to catch, so the coach finally let him wear the gear and play behind the plate. Kyle has also played 3rd base and been an outfielder.
Kyle has a batting stance that looks like the guy on top of trophies. He hits the ball most of the time and drives it into the outfield.
Stacey, Linda & I enjoy watching both the kids play. We drive 165 miles, round trip, to watch their games, sometimes twice a week.

Posted by Dave at 10:30 PM
Categories: Current Events

Wednesday, April 11, 2018

Garage Walls Up

Linda wanted to go to IN to help clean out her Mom's house on Broadway, so we headed to Daleville. Imon and Linda worked together a day and removed a lot of stuff. Steve Sargent's crew had erected the walls for our garage.
The second and third days, Stacey, Linda and I worked together. I held the bags, she filled them as she sorted, Stacey carried the bags to the front porch. We made several trips to various dumpsters as we unloaded a lifetime of things no longer wanted. When we returned to the farm, it was nice to have beautiful weather for a welcome home.

Posted by Dave at 4:00 PM
Categories: Current Events, Daleville, Farm

Friday, April 06, 2018

Grandparent's House

I talked Linda and Brent into helping me clean up around my grandparent's old house. Hytie and John Parrish were my Mom's parents and lived in the house. I can remember sleeping in the bedroom when I was about 5 or 6 years old. It has been nearly that long since anyone has lived in it, while trees, vines & time have been taking its toll. I started the clean up a few days earlier by bush hogging as close as possible, then Brent cut a few trees and I hauled them to our brush pile at the other end of the field. A day or two later, Linda & I used loppers and the pole saw to clear the brush & briars that were closer to the house.
Pepper, Daisy, Poco & Coco make up the family's dog pack. Pepper & Daisy run the trails while Poco & Coco ride, but they all enjoy having a new place to sniff.

Posted by Dave at 5:30 PM
Categories: Current Events, Farm

Saturday, March 31, 2018

Tiller for Strawberries at Easter

Early in March I had ordered, from Tractor Supply Co, a 48" tiller to use behind the New Holland 55 tractor. It came to the Columbia store and we picked it up on the 23rd using the lawn mowing trailer behind the red truck. Back at the farm, I unloaded the tiller with the scoop on the tractor and set it down in the pole barn. Some assembly was required along with servicing the unit with oil and grease before use.
It rained a lot while I was working in the pole barn on the tiller, but the creek didn't get out of the banks during the day. The next morning I did have some debris in the fields where the creek had risen during the night. I went to work removing the debris early, before the rain had stopped, being careful not to make tire ruts in the fields. That way, the debris I missed would be washed down into the fields by the rain almost like it never happened.
In a few days time, the ground had dried enough. so I was ablt to till 3 rows next to our old strawberry patches and 5 more rows in the area where the old house trailer used to set. We left about 5' between the rows of strawberrys for grass walkways.
Saturday morning, Brent's family came over and around noon we planted 200 strawberry plants. Brent & I set the stakes for the twine string that had marks on it for the plant spacing. Then we made the holes for the plants with Julie and Pauline planting as Linda & Stacey separated the plants and handed each one to them. Kyle did the stepping and fetching for all of us. I think we had the planting completed in about an hour.
We also had a ham dinner with pies and other good stuff. Oh, and Julie & Kyle enjoyed an Egg Hunt with candy and loose change inside plastic eggs.

Posted by Dave at 8:00 PM
Categories: Current Events, Farm

Saturday, March 03, 2018

Aaron Tippin & Sammy Kershaw Concert

Stacey was not having a good day, but we were determined to take her to see Aaron Tippin & Sammy Kershaw. We had purchased the tickets a couple months in advance and she enjoys going to the Plaza Theatre. We tried to get her straightened up, but it didn't happen. Linda and I each held onto Stacey's hands and helped her walk into the Plaza just before the concert started. Aaron and Sammy took turns performing their hit songs for about an hour and a half.
The crowd was rowdy and shouted a lot of things towards the artists. Sammy told a few stories between songs, but Aaron just sang. It wasn't the best concert we had seen at the Plaza but it was fairly good. Leading Stacey out in the middle of the crowd trying to leave was difficult, but we made it and Stacey said she had a good time.

Posted by Dave at 10:00 AM
Categories: Current Events, Plaza Concerts

Saturday, February 17, 2018

Julie & Kyle Basketball

This season, Julie & Kyle played Little League Basketball. Kyle was in his 2nd year playing and Brent was his coach this year. The league was made up from 1st, 2nd & 3rd grade kids and Brent had all 2nd graders or younger. Kyle and the entire team made improvements throughout the season. Brent had the players take turns during games letting all of them handle the ball. The game scores were usually lopsided in the other teams' favor, but that doesn't matter, I don't know why the league even keeps score, it is a developmental league.
Julie had played two years in the girls' league, but this season there were not enough girls signed up, so the girls were placed on boys' teams. The level of ability was quite a bit better in the boys league and it was a tough transition for Julie to make. Her coach was tougher and his team, the Thunder was one of the two best in the league. Julie learned the plays and went through several learning experiences during the season. The Thunder had one loss during the season. The championship game was a thriller. The Thunder was 4 points down with under a minute to go. Two foul shots brought them within 2 points. Then a rebound of a foul shot with 4 seconds left on the clock, the player running from the baseline to half court and heaving the ball at the basket with the buzzer going off right before the ball crashed against the backboard and bounced straight through the basket!!! A THREE POINT SHOT!! The Thunder WON !! I stormed the court. Then settled down and took their pictures. LoL
Julie took her turn climbing the ladder and cutting a piece of the net down.
Stacey, Linda and I thoroughly enjoyed watching all of their games this season. It doesn't matter whether they win or lose.
Their games are a good reason to stay in touch with their lives.

Posted by Dave at 7:30 PM
Categories: Current Events

Monday, January 29, 2018

Regina Jones

My neighbor, friend, cousin, Regina Jones passed away early this morning in the hospital from the results of a brain hemorrhage
Sunday morning, Linda and I were outside, loading a few items from the barn into the pickup. I heard a car horn blow a couple times at Regina's house. A couple minutes later a car drove into our driveway, rolled down the car window and told us they couldn't get Regina to come to the door. It was Sue Baker and her daughter Tammy driving. We all went to Regina's house and Linda retrieved a house key that Regina had told her where it was hid. She unlocked the door. Regina was in her favorite chair and unresponsive. Tammy used the house phone to call an ambulance. I went outside to flag them down while Sue & Tammy tried to wake Regina. The ambulance arrived, they loaded her on the gurney and headed to the hospital. I drove one of the emergency personnel's truck that he left setting on the side of the road back to the hospital and returned it to him. He said Regina made it to the hospital alive. Linda stayed at the hospital to wait on Regina's girls, I took Stacey home with me. Around 5 PM, Linda called and both girls had arrived and she wanted me to pick her up.
Slightly before 7 AM, Monday morning, Regina's granddaughter Casey Jones, called and told me that Regina had passed away overnight, a little after 1 AM.
In the picture below, Regina is in the middle between her two daughters, Sondra on the left and Pamela on the right ( taken in Oct 2016 ).
Regina with her great grandson, Trystan.

Regina was my link to the past. She knew me longer than anyone else. She knew where I came from and why I'm like I am, we understood each other. Normally in winter, I might not have seen her all this week, but now, I already miss her. :-(

Posted by Dave at 6:00 PM
Categories: Current Events